Traditional Carpentry in Southern China-05 Component Procession 第五篇 加工

Thanks! Share it with your friends!

This series of documentaries are about the traditional carpentry in Southern China: the lives of the carpenters, their tools, their design methods as well as the procession and assembly of a timber structure, It was film in Zhejiang Province, China by myselfduring my gap year as an architectural student in Harvard Graduate School of Design.

• Rating:
  • Views:6,161 views
  • Tags: -
  • Categories: Carpentry

Comments

Human Hand Design says:

Those Chinese style log dogs are a great design. Seem much sturdier than western style ones.

wallace1723 says:

great video. I enjoyed it very much.

Bill Clary says:

This man is a great artist and craftsman.I like seeing people like this do their work.

Robert Cornelius says:

You don't need this in English. Watch the video in mute and use part of that 90% of the brain that just sits there and rots away. Stupidity is a global thing.

Camden Walters says:

I am almost finished translating these videos. If you want a transcript I would be happy to send one. If you are one of the arrogant Americans who thinks the world should cater to your unworldliness, don't contact me.

Bob Blarney says:

The joinery techniques are labor-intensive in the short run, but the buildings are sturdy. The tools are very similar to traditional Western tools, but when sawing, I see that the bucksaw frame is at ~45d to the line of cut. I think that would make it difficult to cut on the line.

Bill Nilsen says:

I love this channel

Guido van gils says:

Traditional my ass with all the power tools

pop9095 says:

So many Super-Entitled people, angry that they cannot make full use of the content because of a language barrier. Alert! You all do not Deserve to have that, you simply want it. Being angry and rude only shows that you are not worthy of what you demand.

Curtis Newton says:

I prefer by far japanese wood craft, more subtle joints

Adirondack Backcountry says:

What a peaceful craft:) Some very old engineering indeed. 7th century Pagoda?

Gerd Wolff says:

Beeindruckend, – sehr beeindruckend. Auch der Kollege, der fröhlich rauchend sene Kippe wegschmeißt 😉 Mein Meister hätte mir in der Werkstatt eigenhändig die Hand abgehackt.

Brian Cambra says:

firstly, thank you for creating an authentic video detailed with authentic tools and practices!  this is exciting.  yes it would be helpful if it were in English.  but if a person is truly interested in the craft, by watching the video, they will get what is going on…video well done but PLEASE FOR MY SAKE, translate it to English.  do you have the name and address of the shop filmed in this video?  I will go to southern china soon and would love to visit!  I am an american who has studied many building styles in asia over 26 years and know how to shut up and do as I am told in order to respect my teachers and the tradition I am trying to learn.
to the other commenters, please try to relax with your views that a foreign ancient practice should have use of the same tools!  this is one of the cool things about this video is it offers another approach.  think outside the box the outside world has so much to bring to your table.
brian

Dumy Jobby says:

this is very interesting but cam we have it on english please

FlatusOhlfahrt says:

ummmmm – how 'traditional' are the power tools?

Nuckelhedd Jones says:

Yeah. Not a single mention that it is ALL in Chinese. What a fucktard.

Rizgar Penjweny says:

if it's translated to english more people could benefit from it

Rafael Monzon says:

PUT THE FUCKING SHIT IN ENGLISH

youllregretit says:

how were holes made in traditional chinese or japanese wood working (before the time of makita drills)? i've never seen a brace and bit or t handle in the videos i've seen.

Denis Iahnes says:

ENGLISH ?!?!?!?!??!

Myles Franco says:

Why do they not have a broad axe! where is the chinese broad axe for hewing!?

Write a comment