Finishing a Natural Edge Table Top – A woodworkweb.com woodworking video

Thanks! Share it with your friends!

http://www.woodworkweb.com/woodwork-topics/furniture-making/427-building-an-arts-crafts-style-table.html : Natural edge furniture has a large appeal, and in this video we show how the natural edge is surfaced and the sides and top finished.

Incoming search terms:

• throwb6v

Comments

Bev Miller says:

can you use coconut oil as a sealant before using epoxy resin?

shawn b says:

Thanks for sharing this. It looks great. My question thpugh is what process did u use to get the strait cut edges? Im building shelves w live edges but the wood is about 20 to 24 inches wide and im not sure how to get my first square edge. So everything is flush. Any suggestions?

2321kenb says:

i love youtube for this kind of reason!
I'm making a walnut live edge tv stand, and after 2 hours of sanding, i thought I'd look up to see if there was an easier way to sand the live edge…as soon as you mentioned the wire brush wheel, i could've kicked myself as i just walked by them in depot this very morning while picking up my sandpaper! well back to the depot i go,ha.
great video!

Gina VIP always says:

Awesome knowledge coming from you. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Steve Camaro says:

Hi Colin, I was wondering what you also thought about best way to get bleached gray look.
I'm using true 2" thick old growth pine which has a nice natural reddish tint to it after using my planer and jointer to prep them. ( I'm building a couple dozen industrial desks for my client – he was thinking a grayish bleached look.
I bought the Osmo and Trewax you showed for finishing.

Steve Camaro says:

how does Osmo compare to Tung oil?

Philep Kalopetris says:

when you start to feel that the brush is not doing much any more, just use the drill on reverse.

jacob04103 says:

Can you do this process with a freshly cut piece of wood without it cracking.

Danedreaming says:

What cloth are you using to apply the sealer/wax?

WoodWorkWeb says:

Thanks Derek … hopefully you will post some of your creations. We all enjoy see other peoples works too :)

GiddyUp994 says:

Hi Colin,
thank you for this video.

Derek

WoodWorkWeb says:

Yes, you could maintain with a very light application of wax, maybe once or twice a year depending on the environment. If dry, a couple of applications would be helpful.

gilbert stal says:

very nice would you maintain with wax ??

WoodWorkWeb says:

Hi Greg … yup, you are right, some very good questions. The cut ends were not "sealed" per se, but were given 4 coats of Osmo, which in a sense sealed them. I did not coat the underside of the top as I did not think it was necessary. Most of the moisture that is absorbed and expelled from wood comes through the cut ends, the flat surface breath very slowly and no matter how good it is sealed, the wood will still breath, it's really just a matter of how quickly.
Thanks again, Colin

Greg Unger says:

Great technique Colin. However there are a few questions left unanswered. Like, what about the live edges and the cut edges? And what about the bottom surface? My thought would be that you'd want to seal the entire piece to minimize moisture transfer (in and out) to minimize the seasonal expansion/contractions.

WoodWorkWeb says:

Thanks for commenting, hope this was useful to you
Colin

Mashiur Rahman says:

i learn it. i am live in Bangladesh.

WoodWorkWeb says:

No problem, thanks for commenting, always happy to hear how others are making out :)
Colin

Štefan Hudáč says:

Graet video. As I live in Europe I checked OSMO availability right away. Thanks for sharing.

WoodWorkWeb says:

Thanks for commenting, I knew there would be other out there who would have had similar experiences. I have not tried the steel wool/vinegar wash, great idea, I will give that a try … thanks again
Colin

joshik12380 says:

I discovered something similar too with some old redwood planks that were sitting outside for nearly 30 years. The exposed ends had a beautiful natural groove and grey color. I had to chop off one of the live edge ends to shorten the plank for a coffee table and was not sure how I would re-create the live edge. I used a wire brush and created the grooves along the natural lines and then used a steelwool/vinegar wash. turned out great!

Write a comment